‘If the club doesn’t get the money it is asking for, then he WON’T leave’: Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso insists club will not be bullied into selling Manchester United target Kalidou Koulibaly this summer
- Kalidou Koulibaly played 34 matches for Napoli in all competitions last season
- The Senegal star has reported interest from Europe, including Man United
- But Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso insists the 29-year-old won’t go on the cheap
- Owner Aurelio De Laurentiis has said Kouliably and Arkadiusz Milik may depart
Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso has insisted defender Kalidou Koulibaly will stay put if his asking price is not met this summer.
But Gattuso has reiterated that 29-year-old Senegal international Koulibaly – who played 34 games for Napoli last season – will not be sold on the cheap.
Napoli boss Gennaro Gattuso insists Kalidou Koulibaly will stay put if his asking price is not met
The 29-year-old Senegal international has been linked with a host of clubs around Europe
‘Koulibaly has a precise asking price, and if the club doesn’t get the money it is asking for, then he won’t leave,’ Gattuso told Sky Sport Italia.
Gattuso’s defiant comments come after Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis admitted the centre-back and team-mate Arkadiusz Milik could well leave the club this summer.
De Laurentiis told Canale 21: ‘Koulibaly and [Arkadiusz] Milik are both on their way out, transfer market permitting.
But Gattuso has confirmed Napoli will not be bullied into selling their star asset on the cheap
‘So, if the transfer market allows us to sell these two excellent players, we will know how to replace them. If not, then we’ll discuss it again next year.’
Gattuso spoke about Milik’s future after Friday’s 4-0 friendly win against Pescara, in which the Poland international did not feature.
The forward has just one year left to run on his current contract, but Napoli still value their player at 30 million euros (£27.6m), a price which interested parties including Tottenham are not willing to pay.
Gattuso’s comments come after owner Aurelio De Laurentiis claimed Koulibaly may leave
But Gattuso insisted Milik must leave following the arrivals of Victor Osimhen and Andrea Petagna, who scored against Pescara.
‘We were very clear with Milik last year, we told him that he had to renew his contract, but he refused to do so and knows our view on this,’ Gattuso said.
‘If Arek doesn’t find another club, then it won’t be an easy situation for him, because we have already signed another two forwards. There’s no room for him.’
Gattuso has also told Poland international Arkadiusz Milik to find another club this summer