Tyson Fury ordered to fight Dillian Whyte next by WBC if he beats Deontay Wilder in December rematch

Sports


Tyson Fury’s fight with Anthony Joshua next year faces another hurdle after ‘Gypsy King’ ordered to fight Dillian Whyte next by WBC as his mandatory if he beats Deontay Wilder in their trilogy bout

  • Tyson Fury is facing another rematch against  Deontay Wilder in December
  • The winner of that contest will been ordered by the WBC to take on Dillian Whyte
  • Whyte is preparing for a fight against Alexander Povetkin later this month
  • Fury has already signed an all-British two-fight deal with Anthony Joshua in 2021

The winner of the second rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder will face a mandatory defence against Dillian Whyte, the WBC has confirmed.

Fury defeated Wilder in February of this year, with the pair set for another high-profile bout in December.

And the winner of that contest will face Brixton boxer Whyte, who takes on Russian Alexander Povetkin later this month in England, meaning a mouth-watering all-British clash is on the cards in early 2021. 

The winner of Tyson Fury (left)’s rematch with Deontay Wilder (right) will face Dillian Whyte

British boxer Whyte (right) will face Russian Alexander Povetkin in England later this month

British boxer Whyte (right) will face Russian Alexander Povetkin in England later this month 

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman told Sky Sports: ‘The WBC has reviewed every single weight category, considering the pandemic.

‘We have had the flexibility with our champions and the WBC has approved Fury to fight by the end of the year, if it’s announced that it might be December 19, and the winner must make the mandatory defence early next year.

‘When the (Fury-Wilder) fight takes place, we will order the pre-negotiations, so it’s a process that the promoters negotiate the fight and a date.

‘It makes no sense to speculate on a date, but it’s going to be early next year when they are able to negotiate, or it goes to a purse bid.’ 

Fury may face several all-British fights in 2021 after arranging two-fights with Anthony Joshua

Fury may face several all-British fights in 2021 after arranging two-fights with Anthony Joshua

A Fury-Whyte contest could mean several all-British bouts for the ‘Gypsy King’ in 2021, after the undefeated WBC champion agreed a two-fight deal with Watford-born boxer Anthony Joshua.

While the date for the mandatory defence has not been confirmed, promoter Eddie Hearn claimed that February or March is a realistic estimate for the all-British clash, one which Whyte could not turn down.

Hearn said: ‘Dillian takes priority. [He] has to have that fight by the end of February, and if it goes into March, it goes into March.

Promoter Eddie Hearn (above) believes the mandatory defence could be in February or March

Promoter Eddie Hearn (above) believes the mandatory defence could be in February or March

‘Anthony Joshua is boxing in December. He won’t be ready to box again until June-July. Everybody acknowledges that’s the mandatory and that it’s next.’ 

Last week, Fury was named as the best heavyweight boxer in the world by Ring Magazine, overtaking Joshua at the top of the leaderboard.

British boxer Whyte was named the third-best behind runner-up Joshua, with Wilder in fourth-place. Povetkin, Whyte’s next opponent, was ranked in sixth spot.

Advertisement



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *